Built in the 17th century Blickling Hall is one of the England’s finest Jacobean Houses. It contains beautiful and important artefacts which include: one of the finest collections of rare books in England, Mortlake tapestries, a Hungerford- Pollen painted ceiling and an extensive collection of furniture and paintings. Stained glass can be found in both the Long Gallery and the Great Hall.
The twelve panels of glass date from the 15th & 16th century and are of German, Flemmish & French origin. They would have been imported into the county between 1800 - 1820 by John Christopher Hampp a Norwich weaver and merchant.
Although the panels were originally installed in the Hall c 1820 they were actually removed in 1935 and kept in packing cases until they were lent "permanently" to the church of St Mary, Erpingham where they were installed in the East window. They were eventually returned to Blickling in 1995 (a replica is now installed at Erpingham).
The top eight panels were taken from the monastery of Steinfeld in the Eifel region of Germany. Other examples of glass from Steinfeld can be seen at St Mary Magdalen Church in Mulbarton (south Chancel window 2). Various scenes are depicted including The Nativity (second row left hand panel)
The panels on the bottom row are believed to be of French & German origin. The left hand panel depicts St Anne & St Joachim (The Virgin Mary's parents). The next panel is French in origin & was possibly originally located in Rouen whilst the panel second from the right ( German) vividly depicts "The Massacre of the Innocents"
he upper lights in the north window contain heraldic panels designed c1861 by JH Pollen and made by Powells of Whitefriars. Interestingly, although it wasn't until the 1890s that the firm were recognised as being one of the main producers of Arts & Craft windows here the imaginative use of unevenly coloured glass is redolent of the later movement. From left to right the arms of : Jedburgh, Ancram, Lothian, Hobart & Britiffe are illustrated.