St Mary’s is rare amongst our medieval churches in that it was all built at one time. Thus it was constructed around 1330 and is described as one “of the best copybook examples of the Decorated style” (Mortlock & Roberts). As would be expected the nave windows are large with elaborate tracery whilst the geometrical patterns in the east window add much to the beauty of the church.
Little stained glass remains in the church, unfortunately it has been lost as much by lack of care as Puritan inconoclasm. However, examples of work by both 14th and 15th century craftsman remain giving some impression of how the church glazing originally appeared.